Tuesday, January 13, 2009

my baby is 6.. and an example of using a hairlight

so i couldn't just go and make this completely personal, lol, figured i'd better throw something useful in as well!
i took some photo's of my daughter last week, trying to get something i could use for her birthday invitations, and hey, if i got something frameable, then that would be great too! so i had her put on her white undershirt, put her on my black fleece backdrop, set up my main light as normal, and added a hairlight. for the hairlight i used an alien bee 800 on its lowest setting with a 20 degree honeycomb grid. i had the hairlight high and on the same side as my main, pointed directly toward the back of her head. here's the resulting image converted to black and white:

4 comments:

Heather Georger said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl Hope!!!! Will you teach me to use my new bee? lol I'll drive to LA:)

Anonymous said...

sure, c'mon over!

Unknown said...

Love this shot - I really need to work more on studio shots. Her eyes are beautiful just like yours.

Anonymous said...

awh, thanks Darlene!