Sunday, January 4, 2009

Denise Steim Photography - Central Iowa


Whoa how weird it is to type "Denise Steim Photography" in the title; I never in a million years thought I'd be doing this!
.
Hello! I'm one of the "aspiring" photographers on this lovely blog, only dreaming to become a professional like many of these folks. Boy do I admire their work and am looking forward to learning more from them!
.
As you figured, above, I never figured I would be a photographer! Let's just say dreams do come true later in life, even if you didn't know you had them. All my life my dream was to be a stay at home mom with my 2 girls. This wasn't possible until my first baby was 6 years old, but better late than never! At the time one of my girls was 6, the other 2.
.
I just sort of "got into" photography after that. I've always loved taking pictures of my kids, I'd rack up at least $80/mo in print prices at Target. I took an online photography class in 10/07, and realized, at the age of 37, that I had a new dream, to be a photographer! So I bought my first DSLR in 11/07, took another online class, practiced practiced practiced, and "officially" started by business in 8/08. I've got sooooo much to learn, though. I will be taking an online Photoshop class in 2/09 and will continue to learn through reading, online forums, local seminars, and any other way I can.
.
I'm not sure what I'll have to offer this blog yet. For now it will be my struggles with my first year of doing taxes as a self employed individual :) I'm going to try TurboTax - wish me luck! Then I'll try to start taking more pictures of my girls; I let that fall by the wayside as I grew my business, but I'm know they didn't mind :)
.
See you later! In the meantime check out my site at Denise Steim Photography and my Blog.

1 comment:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

It's funny you say how weird it is to see your biz name typed out--it took me a long time to come to terms that I was a "professional" photographer. It felt way out of my league when I started, but I grew into it, and I finally (after 5 years) feel good about saying that. It will come!