Tuesday, January 6, 2009

{Tooting Your Own Whistle}

Okay...so I have been racking my brain trying to think of what I can post.  I decided that I would simply stop stressing and just go with something.  So here it is....

I'm not sure if any of you do this, you may or may not, but I have found that when I shot children I like to take a lot of little "pocket goodies" to entice them with.  My most favorite of all are whistles.  I have a wide variety of them and I try to grab them when I head out to shoot a little one.  There are a couple of reason I do this....when you have things to show them, this helps to break the ice and allows them to become more comfortable with you and open up a little.  The absolute best perk of a whistle is that each time you blow it, it generally cause the child to look at you which in turn gives you that eye contact that we love for a child to have with the camera. 

I have all kinds of fun whistles and consider them my accessories.   I of course have the standard whistle, but I also flaunt around ones shaped like lips, flashing ones, colorful ones and all other sorts of fun and interesting ones.  I am using them to make a fashion statement! LOL  Visit here to find a huge variety if you think that you want to give this a whirl and see how it works for you.  Who would think something so simple would be so much fun and so intriguing to a little one.  


Photo courtesy of Oriental Trading Company

6 comments:

Heather Georger said...

What a great idea!!!!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

Fun idea....I have a silver jingle bell that I often bring with me. The only problem with either though is the kids want to hold it and sometimes throw a fit if they can't have it. I love the colors of these...fun fun.

Stefanie said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

I love the whistle idea! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love that idea - I really could have used this idea a few weeks ago. :o)

Troye Smith said...

That's a great idea! I've had parents bring a favorite thing that they know always gets a laugh from their little one, but sometimes having mom or dad behind me makes it worse. I love the idea of something I could have that I don't need another hand for!