Thursday, January 8, 2009

Using Available Light



Took this one yesterday and was not what I was expecting. The weather has been amazing, bitterly cold and bright blue skies. The lake had frozen over, so I had planned to get some clear sunny winter pictures. When I woke though, it was grey and foggy with a fine drizzle, so I decided not to take my kit and just take the camera to get some "blogshots" if anything presented itself.

What a surprise when I got to the lake, it had a most magical ethereal quality and the light was superb, different to the bright blue skies, maybe even better. I only had the "nifty fifty" f1.8 so had to work it to get the shots.

The point of this post, other than to share this shot? We don't always need a collection of lenses, or "the right" lens - if it's there and we have some glass, we can capture it. If the light is not as you expected it, it doesn't matter, work with what there is - it may even be better.

I know this is not new stuff, but knowing it and living it are sometimes not the same thing :)

2 comments:

Heather Georger said...

that is a pretty cool shot, I could see it on a book cover!

Rhonda said...

That is very cool. I love the secrecy of the shot. You cant quite make out exactly what is behind. There is a mysterious quality to this.