Monday, January 5, 2009

The stress of being creative...

There are some days when I feel really stressed from trying to be creative with my photography. So I'll go browse flickr groups or online forums and instead of concentrating on getting good ideas it makes me feel really inadequate...

This picture for instance? I took it for a competition for my camera club back in October. It was critiqued by a few professionals at the competition later that month and the consensus was pretty clear "Um... what is this supposed to convey?"

Ya know what? I haven't a clue. I wanted to get a cool depth of field shot of the rocking chairs at Cracker Barrel... that was all I was thinking of. It doesn't convey anything at all - its pointless. sigh.

I have my first clients at the end of the month - mini studio sessions with some moms from my moms group. They know I'm green and I'm using them to build my portfolio, so no stress to be perfect, which is good I guess... but I'm really stressing on being creative with my portraits. I don't have alot of experience with adults (I concentrate on kids mainly) let alone studio experience!

Guess I'll continue to search around for ideas until the 'inspiration brick' decides to hit me in the head...

1 comment:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I have a really hard time being creative with in animate objects. Don't beat yourself up....just practice with your friends catching the personality of their kids.